November 11, 2013

Remembrance Monday


 Its the 11th day of the eleventh month and at the eleventh hour, we remembered them...
I'm not one to sacralise war, au contraire; but I remember members of my family, now dead, who were wounded variously in the battles of the Somme and Metz Wood. Honest boys who thought they were doing the right thing and endured terrible privations and physical damage that haunted their lives.

It was a good day for it, anyway - windy but sunny. The town turned out. The marines came from Toulon...


 Here's our Mike, who laid a British Legion wreath -
Here is the apero that followed the ceremony being guarded till the Mayor gave the OK:) (They are still partying as I write; Claudine and I came home for lunch)
Claudine arrived yesterday BTW and Ryan and Alicia created a splendid meal for her - is there any other sort when they are cooking?

Claudine and I took some of Alicia's apple and fig tart  to Andree, who showed us what her docs have told her what she can and cannot do during her convalescence...


No comments:

Post a Comment