December 13, 2014

Saturday blaze

Leaving home just before dawn to walk my amiable dog Lily, the camera didn't come to hand and I decided not to hunt it. I mean, there are only so many photos one can take of sunrises.
Naturally the dawn was spectacular. Due to some weird cloud formations, it seemed that curtains of raspbery and apricot were hanging in layers in the sky, against a pellucid blue. A bit like I've imagined the aurea borealis might be.

Rounding the corner at the town hall things were somewhat different - notably, there were flames and smoke leaping into the sky adding considerably to the visuals.

The garage of Dr Cinelli was ablaze and all our heroic pompiers were there, firefighting away.
The Mayor was watching and was happy to assure me that no-one was hurt though it was a very large fire -

Went back later to photograph the chared remains but I was too late. Our useful town services had sealed off the entrance and were taking down the dangerous timbers. There had been an iron staircase that was distorted by the heat which I'd have liked a snap of and a car totally burned out that seemed to be visually poetic but perhaps its as well not to be too enthusiastic for these things -:)

The fire services are marvellous, truly. As I say, this was a major fire but it wasn't allowed spread, it didn't get to touch the railway line, it didn't catch the street christmas decorations...

No comments:

Post a Comment