July 21, 2023

What to do if you loose everything in Carcassonne

 ....The first thing to do is return to where you lost it. 

I was trying to buy Bobs weird toothpaste when I realised my wallet and purse were missing, so I ran (beuph) back to the bus stop where the bus I'd just got off - had just gone.

Into the train station then and explain at the enquiries desk what had happened. Though the bus was a replacement train and in the pay of the SNCF they had no info nor any idea of what to do.

Where else now but to the tourist info desk, just over the canal and open. Sweet girl offered sympathy and a map where she marked the police station. It's not just the money or the cards, its my carte de sejour, carte vital and health insurance. My identity all gone and not a sou to my name - nor the euro for the bus to get me home. 

(Bob is not answering my frantic phone calls.)

On the way to the police station (at the side of the town hall) I saw the Credit Agricole - my bank. Told them what had happened, and asked if I could have some money. Easy! They said. Took my name and date of birth and asked how much I wanted. They gave me a plastic card thing, told me to stick it into one of three machines, I did and it ate it. I used the wrong machine. Wha??? That took some sorting as now I'd irritated the banker and his trainee was on his first day, there were queues and no-one was having fun.

Eventually clutching cash in my shaking hand I went off  again and whilst outside the police station Bob rang me, having got my messages. Now with some dosh I wouldn't need him to come and get me but naturally he was worried... the police were really not bovvered and sent me on to lost property.

Police station 


next door and a bit to the police station


Lost property were kind and sent me on to the regional transport folk, which I found eventually (by luck) which was as well as being distressed and baffled was ready to give up. (This has taken a couple of hours, I'm on foot, its hot.)

But lo!! The desk keepers asked which service operator I'd used and what time it left Quillan, disappeared and came back some 10 mins later saying it had all been found by the driver! I was as surprised as they were when I burst into tears.

The driver would bring it on the 14.00h bus home. And he did and his name is Joseph and if you know him, please buy him a drink...


No comments:

Post a Comment