September 10, 2018

Letter from Toby

Here is a message from Toby to us all. Her english is all but perfect :) Wish I could write like you in any language, Tobes.
Toby kindly sent some photos of her room which I cant transfer from my email... another day, when the technology is sussed.


HAPPY HOSPITAL LIFE
Hi Esperaza friends. As you probably know by now I am in Limoux Hospital sinds 17 august and it,s going better every day. Unlike the rest of the working class here we all long for the weekdays as we “go to work” from 10-12 and 13-16, downstairs in our Torture Room. They,ve got a big and very well equiped physical therapy and “ergo” therapy centre.
Fitst day they weeled me in I couldn,t believe my eyes. Legs on machines, legs sawying through the air, busy busy.  I was first taken to the ErgoTherapy, that,s the place where they train your fine motoric system. Initially I thought these were all people with Alzheimerish problems as they were all doing childrens games. Then it was my turn!!!
Had to put in the sticks in the Solitaire games and play against myself. Of course with my plastered right hand!  Then putting beads on a thread with thin needle etc. Etc. These other people have knee,-hip-, leg problems as well and some get treatment after they had a stroke and lose sensibility in hands or elsewhere.
I apologized to the gods for my prejudiced attitude. And in the meantime find it very effective to keep my fingers moving.
Rest of the time is leg work: massage of the scar (sort of zipper along the outside of the leg); machine that helps you bend the leg up to >100 degrees (i am at 80now) and wriggle your feet, bend and lift legs etc. Actually pretty tiring but “good fun”.

??? The fun is that you meet new people every day; I get to know family histories. A,s daughter knows B,s son; C is getting married- or divorced, etc. So its like a sociological convention. In the meantime there,s these 2 therapists who cannot stop making fun of everybody. They are funny guys. And good looking! So all the women in my “leg section” happy.
The “hip section” is accross the room.  Feet are placed in leather holsters and they have to sway their own leg through a counter weight.  At first sight it may look like a well equipped SM room, but there,s moments where it looks like a slow version of the Bolstoi Ballet.
So you can imagine now that I enjoy going down to therapy. Its not exactly a holiday home but I,m fine here.  Only thing missing is a nice bar. We make up for that in the garden.
RESULTS: plaster may be taken of on the 12th, then I can start exercises in the pool and use my right hand again.
Leg will take at least till end of september. And Patience is my middle name.
Will tell you more about the funny faces that you meet here. 
See you soon - and drink 1 for me.

Namaste, Toby


Visitors after 4.oopm when Toby is back from her workout; her room is 139 and she is known as Antonia, no-one can handle her surname :)

No comments:

Post a Comment